当前位置:评价网 > 考研加油绽 > 教育要闻 > 正文
英语习语中包含的国家名字 意思你知道吗?
来源:
发布时间:2014-08-21 10:05
点击数:
分享到:

[摘要]英语中有不少习语含有国家的名字,却有着意想不到的意思,如Dutch uncle(动辄训人的人),那么希腊、中国、法国这些国家在英文习语中又是什么意思呢,一起来看看吧!

英语习语中包含的国家名字 意思你知道吗?

英语中有不少习语含有国家的名字,却有着意想不到的意思,如Dutch uncle(动辄训人的人),Indian sign(咒语,不详的人或物),那么希腊、中国、法国这些国家在英文习语中又是什么意思呢,一起来看看吧!

1. It's all Greek to me

We use this expression when we cannot understand something we read or hear.

当我们不理解看到的或听到的某件事时,可以使用这句表达。

e.g. I recently read this book on Metaphysics. Did you understand it, because it was all Greek to me.

我最近看了这本关于玄学的书,你看懂了吗,因为我完全看不懂。

2. Go Dutch

We go Dutch when we go to a restaurant and share the bill.

我们用这个习语表示去餐馆并且各自结账(AA)。

e.g. Rachel does not like her male companion to offer her dinner. She always prefers to go Dutch.

瑞秋不喜欢男伴请客,她喜欢各付各的。

3. Chinese Whispers (UK)

This expression is often used as a metaphor for mistakes and inaccurate information which comes from rumours of gossip.

这个习语通常比喻因为谣言而产生的错误或不准确的信息。

e.g. All this talk about the Prime Minister resigning is just Chinese Whispers.

关于首相辞职的谣言纯属无中生有。

4. Talk for England

When someone can talk for hours and hours.

这个习语指的是某人可以长篇大论讲很久。

e.g. I'm so sorry I'm late. I couldn't get away from Linda. She can talk for England!

抱歉我迟到了。琳达太能讲了,我实在脱不开身。

5. Dutch Courage

When you need a little alcohol to give you the courage or confidence to do something.

这个习语用在你需要一点酒来壮胆做某事的时候。

e.g. I think I'll have a quick drink for Dutch Courage before I ask that girl to dance with me.

我觉得邀请那个女孩和我跳舞之前我应该喝点酒壮胆。

6. Pardon My French (UK)

We use this expression before or after we have said something rude, for example, a swear word.

在我们说了粗鲁的话,比如脏话之前或之后,可以用这句。

e.g. Who the fuck do you think you are...pardon my French.

你以为你是什么东西……不好意思我骂人了。

7. A Mexican Standoff

This expression is often used in a business situation when two sides cannot agree.

这句话通常用在谈生意的时候双方未能达成一致。

e.g. There appears to be a Mexican Standoff as neither party can agree on the terms of the merger.

显然双方未能达成一致,在合并条款上仍存在争执。

8. Indian Summer (UK)

A period in late autumn when the weather is unusually warm.

秋天快要结束的时候,天气比较暖和的那段时间。

e.g. Much as I love this Indian Summer, I wish we had this warm weather in the summer rather than in October.

尽管我很喜欢秋末温暖的天气,我更希望夏天也能有这个温度而不是十月份。

9. Slow Boat to China

We use this expression to describe something that is very slow and takes a long time.

这句习语用来描述做某件事需要花费很长的时间。

e.g. Waiting for the architects to produce their plans was like taking the slow boat to China.

等待建筑师们的设计计划需要花费很长时间。

10. Too Many Chiefs and Not Enough Indians

This is often used to describe a company where there are too many managers and not enough people doing the actual work.

这句话指的是公司里有太多经理而真正干活的人很少。

e.g. The trouble with that company is that there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

那家公司的问题是经理太多而真正干活的人很少。

【中国科教评价网www.nseac.com
[发布者:yezi]
  相关阅读:  ·中国6省高校学费调整 宁夏部分学科涨幅超五成  ·央广网首届全国大学生主持人大赛复赛落下帷幕  ·夫妇花500多万买学区房 孩子仍没能顺利入学  ·高校研究生学费涨价 读研3年花费超8万元  ·[人在海外]中美家长生活对比
    网友评论:(只显示最新5条。评论内容只代表网友观点,与本站立场无关!)
文明上网,理性评论:
表情:
用户:密码: 验证码:点击我更换图片